Guidelines for Buying Waterproof MP3 Player
Waterproof Audio Guidelines
In Selection of Waterproof MP3 Players
1. Protection certification Never purchase any electronics product intended to be used in any water environment without first verifying the IEC protection certification ratings related to this product. The IEC (International Electromechanical Commission) set classifications of degrees of protection provided against water penetration in electrical enclosures as follows:
IPX1-IPX6: Good for outdoors but cannot be immersed in water.
IPX7: Waterproof up to 1M (3FT) underwater up to 30 minutes.
IPX8: Product is hermetically sealed, 100% waterproof, and continuous use underwater is permitted consistent with restrictions set by manufacturer.
Product cannot be waterproof if it doesnít have either IPX7 or IPX8 certification.
2. Single Port Make sure product has a single (same) port for Audio (Earphones), Data (USB cable) and Charging (also via USB cable). Products with multiple ports are less reliable.
3. Earphones deliver the best quality sound. No reason to compromise on products without earphones.
(a) Length. For head/goggles mounting make sure wire is short (12-15Ē) so excess wire will not interfere with your activity. For waist/armband/pocket mounting a long wire (40Ē) is requires. Make sure your product includes both.
(b) Ear tips block the water from penetrating into your ear canals. Make sure your Ear tips are provided in multiple sizes so you can chose the one set that is both comfortable and always stays in and never falls out.
(c) Speaker protection. Earphones speakers must be protected against penetration of water. To achieve that manufacturers insert a special non-woven material that blocks water in while enables sound out. But some manufacturers donít provide speaker protection. Make sure that your product is protected. If you are not sure ask before you purchase.
4. Earphones Jack must be protected against water penetration and at the same time against Corrosion. Copper plated contacts are preferred. Twist & Lock (or screw in) jacks provide dual protection. Earphones jacks are either 2.5mm or 3.5mm. Ask manufacturer if 2.5/3.5 adaptor is available for versatility.
5. Clip make sure product has a durable and flexible clip. Avoid products without clips as they are hard to mount/dismount.
6. All around usage If you plan to use product not only in connection with water sports applications but also regularly, select a design that answer this call. Most waterproof MP3ís look differently than regular MP3ís. But some Waterproof MP3, in their small size and design, look just as elegant as the finest regular MP3ís.
7. Flash Memory size 2GB provides storage of 500-600 songs or 5 Audio Books. This is enough for over 30 HRS of music.
8. Warranty Make sure product is covered by a Warranty and that Manufacturer has Customer Service Department and stands behind their products.